Placing someone in charge of your accounting/finances can be a daunting task and should not be taken lightly. There are a number of things to consider when choosing an accountant and DATC are going to outline some of these below…
- Just like you wouldn’t take on a new employee without giving their previous company/boss a call, you shouldn’t choose an accountant without a REFERRAL It is always a good idea to speak to people who have worked with the company and do a little research on the company online too! First prize however, would be to acquire a referral from someone else in the industry.
- If your company or business is looking for professional, PERSONAL ATTENTION, it might be best for you to find a small to medium proficient accounting firm who will be able to provide you with the time, attention and advice you require.
- SMALL BUSINESSES need to weigh up the TIME they will have to put aside to complete their accounting and taxes with the COST of getting an accountant to do their returns for them. It is important to remember that the implications for irregularities due to accounting mistakes are serious and can get you and your company into a lot of trouble with the law!
- COST is obviously a major factor to take into consideration when deciding on an accountant. The fee you or your company are prepared to spend or have to spend will depend entirely on the nature and size of your business. Whatever the amount may be, there will be a way to work around it and use an accountant for the services you need or are unable to do in house.
- While we have mentioned plenty of criteria to look out for and decide for yourself which is more prevalent to you and your business, this one is a must! – Your accountant has to be a MEMBER of an accounting body (if not, they are not a registered qualified accountant) an example of one of these bodies is the South African Institute of Professional Accountants (SAIPA).
When choosing an accountant, remember that you are looking for an experienced, professional who pays attention to your work!
Whether its book keeping, VAT, Provisional Tax, PAYE, financial statements or business plans that you require help with, contact DATC today, we come recommended and will help you with any of the above!